DAY 5: I Think I'm Getting Somewhere

Workout: MMX

  • Duration: 28min Completed Set 4 Routine 2/4
  • Condition: No Sprawl I'm still warming up in week 1 
  • Body Feels Like: 5/10 Stiff and sore from abs and yoga from the previous day
  • Mind Feels Like: 6/10 The soreness doesn't bother me as much today
I bounced in and out of P90X yoyo routines for over 10 years and one thing that I realized is that P90X at max intensity is unsustainable over long stretches of time. Far too often I trained super hard and went all out for a week, month, even 6 months only to wake up one day and tell myself fuck it and quit.

The purpose of this blog is to share my journey in becoming healthier and to put pen to paper on my efforts to be less sick, increase stamina, be more alert, enjoy food, and just be happier (and less depressed but I will get to that some other time). I am not an expert or a professional of any kind. I am lazy, aging and don't want to get sick. 

MMX Customized Sets and Routines: 
For those of you that are unfamiliar with P90X3 MMX, it is a 30min kickboxing cardio workout that includes warm up, 4 sets each consisting of 4 types of repetitive movements (I call them routines) and cool down (example: hook, uppercut, kick is a routine). You can find some great homemade videos on YouTube.


MMX Breakdown
  • Warm Up: Done
  • Set 1: Done
  • Set 2: Replace sprawls with high knees (routine 2) and high knees and kicks (routine 4)
  • Set 3: Replace sprawls with high knees, kicks (routine 2) and kicks (routine 4)
  • Set 4: Replace sprawls 4 knees per leg (routine 2) STOP
  • Cool Down: Done

For today's MMX workout, I substituted sprawls for knees and kicks or a combination thereof. I stopped after the 2nd routine on the final set and cooled down. My brain rationalized that I wanted to leave something for the next MMX session, but honestly I just didn't feel like finishing. And that is OK. There are some days you want to you push yourself and other days when you just need to get it over with. The important thing is to commit to a workout and not get sick.

Workouts need to work for me, and not the other way around.

By now it is common knowledge that a healthy dose of daily exercises is good for you. But I found that to be way harder than it sounds. I have a day job, family obligations, errands and chores, all the crap that comes with living. I am also lazy, love food, and most of all hate doing things for the sake of doing it.

But I also have diabetes, have high cholesterol and blood pressure, very little sex drive, frequent bouts of gout, swelling in all random places and constant periods of lethargy with very little desire to do anything other than sleep. 

My latest ailment is a nasty athlete's foot between my 4th and pinky toes. While Googling symptoms and treatment, I read that athlete's foot can be an indicator of a larger underlying ailment. Well, I haven't exercised in over 4 months and have been increasingly sleepy over time (last Saturday I slept 18 hours spread throughout the day). When I woke up at 3am scratching the hell out of that fucking toe, I figured my body is telling me something's awry. 

I had to do something. I have to do something. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY 6: Feeling Kinda Less Broken

DAY 12: It's Been a Minute

DAY 9: KISS! (Keep It Simple Stupid)